Valma opens doors with new skills
Meet Valma. Her story is one of resilience in its truest form.
Valma hails from the remote town of Peterborough, in Mid North SA. In recent years, she lost her home and belongings in a devastating house fire and suffered a near-fatal head injury.
Despite it all, Valma wears the biggest smile and is always looking at the positives in life.
In 2020, Valma participated in Sureway’s Career Transition Assistance (CTA) program – a program is designed to help mature-age job seekers build their confidence and skills to become more competitive in their local labour market by teaching digital literacy, transferable skills, resume writing and more.
Valma was new to computers at the start of the course, having never even sent an email. She also relied upon friends and family to help her navigate the digital world.
Due to the impacts of COVID-19, the CTA course was being delivered 100% online which was at first nerve wracking for Valma, but now – how the tides have turned!
Since joining the CTA program in late August Valma has:
- Sent and received emails, and cc’d in recipients
- Attached files to emails to send to her trainer, as well as downloading and saving attachments that are sent to her
- Connected to zoom meetings with ease, she participates in two zooms per week with her Facilitator Jess
- Created a budget in MS Excel, using autosum functions
- Used MS Word to type and format her new resume
- She has even designed a flyer for her annual Christmas Cave all on her own with her new found skills!
Congratulations to Valma for her persistence, hard work and dedication to changing her life despite the challenges of remote learning!